When I got married I never thought about scheduling a bridal shoot before the big day. If I were to do it all over again, I’d definitely plan a day all for myself to try on the gown, practice my hair and makeup, and have FUN. Guest contributor Kristi Flower, of Kendalls Media, tells us everything you need to know about bridal portraits.
FIVE reasons every bride should have bridal portraits taken BEFORE her wedding day:
1. Playing dress-up is FUN. When was the last time you played dress-up?
2. Practice makes perfect. This is the day you will practice your hairstyle, make-up and “wearing” your gown. It’s a great trial run for the wedding day!
3. You can experiment. Get crazy on the day of your bridals. Add a hairpiece or wear red lipstick! Do something you might not dare to do on your actual wedding day.
4. You get to spend time with your mom, mother-in-law and friends. I always recommend you bring your entourage!
5. It’s ALL about YOU! You deserve to have one day of being pampered and ohhh and awwww’d over!
Below is an example of a recent bridal shoot; I did with the beautiful Taeler. She started the shoot with a glamorous look, golden eyes and nude lips! She also wore the jewelry she planned on wearing on her wedding day. A beautiful cuff bracelet and Crystal oval drop earrings from Nadri. Her jewelry was a shower gift from her mother. Taeler wanted a classic look on her wedding day but also wanted to showcase her great grandmother’s vintage costume jewelry. Instead of adding one more thing on the wedding day we decided we would incorporate the jewelry in her bridals. We did this in her second look, its what I call “Vintage love”. We achieved this by applying red lipstick, a black feather hairpiece (I found at forever 21) and her great grandmother’s vintage costume jewelry. Taeler had NEVER worn red lipstick and was a little timid about it, however, after seeing her photos she was super happy that she tried something different. The third look we changed locations and she really let her hair down. She wanted a more urban feel. I found a beautiful turquoise garage (car repair shop). She really let loose and had a fabulous time dancing and flipping her hair around! In a matter of two hours we achieved three totally different looks! Simple changes can make a dramatic difference!
Helpful Tips for a smooth sailing bridal session:
1. Schedule your bridal session at least six to eight weeks before your wedding date.
2. When scheduling your hair and make-up allow for at least three hours.
3. Bring the following items in a bag to your bridal session:
* comfy shoes
* a white sheet
* baby wipes
* hair spray
* comb or brush
4. If you’re planning on having a floral bouquet in your portraits, order it at least a week in advance. Pick it up a couple of hours before your session.
5. Invite people you feel comfortable around!
6. Bring your ipod.
7. Make sure you eat, even if it’s an apple and lettuce! A lightheaded bride= a cranky bride!
8. Make sure you have your bridal gown, slip, bustier and shoes.
9. Review fashion magazine or bridal magazines to get an idea about posing. Your photographer will always guide you but it doesn’t hurt to have your own moves.
10. Have FUN….
MAC Cosmetics Pro Longwear SPF 10 foundation…$29.50
MAC Cosmetics Bronzing Powder (Golden)…$22.00
MAC Cosmetics Blush Creme (Posey)…$18.50
MAC Cosmetics Eye Kit…Trip 4 bronze eyes and cheeks…$32.00
MAC Cosmetics 6 lash…$14.00
Kat Von D Adora painted red lipstick…$18.00
Sephora Collection Lip attitude (star)…$12.00
Sephora Collection Ultra Shine Lip gloss Shiny Natural look…$14.00
Jewelry and hair accessory
vintage black feather hairpiece
Black feather headband was purchased at forever 21…$4.80
Designer is Nadri and can be purchased at Nordstrom
A similar bracelet is Nadri Fine Points Chrystal bangel…$158.00
Taeler’s great grandmother’s
Great place to find vintage costume jewelry is Etsy – search vintage costume jewelry
Vintage diamond necklace:
Taeler’s great grandmother’s
Taeler’s Wedding Gown:
Gateway Bridal in Salt Lake City, Utah
Taeler’s Hair and Make-Up Artist
Lezlee Jones…The Salon in Bountiful, Utah