Who needs Clinton and Stacy when you have Shannon Dodge! Read her post to avoid being a photo shoot fashion “Don’t”.
“Over the years, there have been certain things that have stood out during photo shoots. Sometimes it’s been really evident during the shoot, and other times it wasn’t apparent until I started editing. You want to look your best, yet be yourself, correct? So be yourself! BUT there are certain rules and regulations when it comes to classic and well put together ensembles for your portraits! That’s why I decided to put together a “What Not to Wear” segment for our Wardrobe Wednesday this week!
First up: Your entire outfit.
- It’s OK to coordinate your colors but, let’s leave entire matching outfits to little girls, shall we? Mix and match your colors and coordinate…it makes for much more interesting images! Notice I mentioned the word color.
- Solids and small prints photograph best…beware of loud stripes or plaids.
- Shoes can be tricky, I know. They can make or break an outfit. You want to be comfortable but please leave the Crocs at home! They tend to be an eyesore in photos. They are bulky and bright and they draw a viewer’s eye down to the ground. You want people to look at YOU not at your Crocs.
- If you choose to wear sandals or flip flops, PLEASE do not pair them w/ socks.
- Look at your nails. Is the polish chipping? Do you have on an obnoxious color that’s going to draw attention to your hands and only your hands? Neutral nails photograph best.
- How are your highlights holding up? Don’t forget to check your roots, girls!
- If you don’t normally have a tan, now is probably not the time to run and get a spray tan or lay out in the sun all day. You don’t want to look like an Oompa Loompa or a lobster.
- PLEASE check your bra straps. If you are wearing a tank top, make sure your bra straps are not visible. Wear clear straps or better yet, buy a bra strap concealer that converts your regular bra into a racer back bra…they are cheap and easy to find!
I hope you find these tips helpful. Booking a photo session is fun and exciting. Make the best of your photos by dressing your family adorably and paying attention to the details!”